Picture courtesy Michael Patzold via Facebook
Media Inquiry – Bay Island News – vandalism of vehicles in the Redland bay carparks
I’m looking for a statement from Council re the recent ridiculous situation about the vandalism of vehicles in the Redland bay carparks. If you could either supply one or put me in touch with someone that would be great.
I’ll take some pics of my own and also stop off at the Redland Police station.
Response – Council spokesperson
Council strongly condemns the criminals damage and theft from numerous vehicles in the Weinam Creek Ferry terminal carpark on Sunday night.
· The power and authority to deal with these crimes rests with the Queensland police to investigate and prosecute.
· Following the incident, Redland City Mayor Cr Karen Williams has written to the Minister for Police the Hon Mark Ryan MP seeking the Minister’s personal assistance for prioritisation of local resources to proactively monitor the area and respond to incidents.
· The Mayor has also invited the Minister and the Member for Redlands, Ms Kim Richards MP, to personally visit the Weinam Creek area to discuss the situation.
· Council will also be contacting the Weinam Terminal operator Translink to see what assistance they can provide to monitor and improve safety in the area.
· Queensland Police have commenced investigations and anyone with information that could lead to prosecution of offenders should contact Crime Stoppers or the local police.
· As part of the Weinam Creek PDA Council will be undertaking major improvements at Weinam Creek in coming years to address the SMBI resident and visitor parking congestion, amenity and foreshore access.
· In the meantime, Council asks all residents and visitors to the area to act as the eyes and ears of the community and immediately report illegal or suspicious behaviour to Crimestoppers www.crimestoppersqld.com.au on 1800 333 000 or the Queensland Police Service 131 444.