Queen’s Baton Relay Cleveland Community Celebration
When: Saturday 31 March 2018 from 8:30am-12:30pm
Where: Community Celebration – Raby Bay Harbour Park, Shore St West, Cleveland
Baton Route: Starting at the Cleveland Point Reserve 9am and travelling to Waterloo St Cleveland (stopping at Raby Bay Harbour Park around 9:40am)
Photography and vision opportunity
This event marks 5 days to go until the Commonwealth Games.
Join Redland City Mayor Karen Williams, Councillors and thousands of Redlanders in celebrating the Queen’s Baton arrival at Cleveland. This is the last leg of the journey before the baton makes its way to the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018).
The Queen’s Baton Relay will travel from Cleveland Point Reserve (The Lighthouse) along Shore Street North, North Street and Shore Street West before stopping in at the community celebration at Raby Bay Harbour Park – a picturesque waterfront location where the main celebrations will be held before continuing along and finishing on Waterloo St Cleveland.
Organised by Redland City Council, the event will be hosted by local Redlander and television personality Lincoln Lewis and Olympic Gold Medalist Natalie Cook OAM.
The community celebration will include free entertainment headlined by Australian singer Casey Donovan and Brisbane folk rock band The Fergies.
The celebration will also feature:
- Welcome to Country by Dr Robert Anderson OAM (Uncle Bob)
- Traditional smoking ceremony by Josh Walker and performances by the Yulu-Burri-Ba Dancers
- Free ‘come and try’ sports and games including volleyball, gymnastics and long jump
- Giant Trapeze by Flipside Circus
- Sand art display by Quandamooka artist Craig Tapp
- Cultural demonstrations by Quandamooka Traditional Owner Matthew Burns
- Appearances by Quandamooka artist and GC2018 medal designer Delvene Cockatoo-Collins and local Redlander Maryann Talia Pau, founder of the One Million Stars to End Violence project, whose exhibition is part of the Festival 2018 during the GC2018.
WHAT’S ON WHEN
8.30am – Community celebration begins at Raby Bay Harbour Park, hosted by Lincoln Lewis and Natalie Cook OAM.
9.00am – Relay starts Cleveland Point (the lighthouse).
9.40am – The Queen’s Baton arrives at the community celebration.
10.15am – Casey Donovan performs live.
11.00am – Special guest interviews.
11.25am – Cultural demonstration by Quandamooka’s Matthew Burns.
11.50am – Live performance by The Fergies
WHO’S CARRYING THE BATON
Baton bearers for the Cleveland leg include locals nominated by the community as well as national sports stars. They are:
To keep up to date go to www.redland.qld.gov.au/GC2018