86 days to go until the Commonwealth Games…
Queen’s Baton Relay – North Stradbroke Island appearance
When: Monday 8 January 2018, 2-4pm
Where: Headland Park, Point Lookout, North Stradbroke Island
Photography and vision opportunity
Join Redland City Mayor Karen Williams and Councillors for the first of two visits the Queen’s Baton will make to Redland City.
Special guests, including Queensland Firebird Jemma Mi Mi, surfing champion Bede Durbidge and Commonwealth Games medal designer Delvene Cockatoo-Collins, will attend to give the Queen’s Baton a traditional Redlands welcome at North Stradbroke Island’s Headland Park.
The Queen’s Baton will be carried by Aunty Rose Borey, a Quandamooka Traditional Owner and respected Elder to Headland Park for a traditional welcome with a smoking ceremony.
An afternoon of free entertainment and activities will be on offer:
- Welcome to Country by Dr Robert Anderson OAM (Uncle Bob)
- Live Entertainment by Chris Tamwoy and The Fergies
- Cultural Demonstrations by Matthew Burns, Josh Walker and the Yulu Burri-Ba dancers
- Traditional Weaving Workshop
- Sand Art by Craig Tapp
- Bush Tucker Tastings
- Appearances by Quandamooka artist Delvene Cockatoo-Collins, Pro Surfer – Bede Durbidge and Queensland Firebird Jemma MiMi
- Plus an Inflatable surf rider, jumping castle and plenty of children’s activities.
FREE Shuttle buses will operate from Dunwich and One Mile water taxis
For more information on Monday’s event visit www.redland.qld.gov.au/gc2018