This post has been doing the rounds a couple of times, and I usually get a copy from Margaret McMillan (thanks Marg).
Please note, this comes in as a Personal Message on facebook. I thought it was about time it saw the light of day. Have a read and make up your own mind…
And it is NOT directed at any of our representatives, personally. I publish with a clear conscience, as I dislike ANY political parties, regardless of their political orientation. (Which is why I can speak politely with either Andrew Lamimg or Kim Richards.. I don’t care which direction their political wind vane is indicating).
And respectful thanks to the original author Dr. Dale Kerwin, for having the stomach to put his name to the document. I may revisit this in the new year….
Pension Entitlements. Please DO NOT DELETE UNTIL YOU HAVE READ IT.
If you agree with this, pass it on, if not simply delete it and no one is better or worse off. Thanks!
Just to be clear it is the politicians, not Canberra.
It costs the Australian taxpayers $40 million annually to support ex-politicians – with a case now before the court to increase their entitlements.As a self funded retiree, I’m frustrated with Canberra’s
continuous fiddle with Superannuation contributions and rule changes. Plus the measure to Re-balance the Pension Assets Test to be implemented on 1st January 2018.
So here’s fair warning to all politicians of any persuasion, this group of aged voters may be about to make the greatest impact on any Federal election in history, ignoring them may be the start of a changed political environment in this country. Change the Entitlements I absolutely agree, if our pension isn’t an entitlement, neither is theirs.
They keep telling us that paying us an aged pension isn’t sustainable. Paying politicians all the perks they get is even less sustainable!
The politicians themselves, in Canberra, brought it up, that the Age of Entitlements is over:
The author is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise. In 3 days, most people in Australia will have this message. This is one idea that really should be passed around because the rot has to stop somewhere.
Proposals to make politicians shoulder their share of the weight now that the Age of Entitlement is over:
1. Scrap political pensions. Politicians can purchase their own retirement plan, just as most other working Australians are expected to do.
2. Retired politicians (past, present & future) participate in Centrelink. A Politician collects a substantial salary while in office but should receive no salary when they’re out of office. Terminated politicians under 70 can go get a job or apply for Centrelink unemployment benefits like ordinary
Australians. Terminated politicians over 70 can negotiate with Centrelink like the rest of the Australian people.
3. Funds already allocated to the Politicians’ retirement fund be returned immediately to Consolidated Revenue. This money is to be used to pay down debt they created which they expect us and our grandchildren to repay for them.
4. Politicians will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Politicians pay will rise by the lower of, either the CPI or 3%.
5. Politicians lose their privileged health care system and participate in the same health care system as ordinary Australian people. i.e. Politicians either pay for private cover from their own funds or accept ordinary Medicare.
6. Politicians must equally abide by all laws they impose on the Australian people.
7. All contracts with past and present Politicians men/women are void effective 31/12/17. The Australian people did not agree to provide perks to Politicians, that burden was thrust upon them.
Politicians devised all these contracts to benefit themselves. Serving in Parliament is an honour, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so our politicians should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people, then it will only take 3 or so days for most Australians to receive the message.
Don’t you think it’s time?
Please do this if you can. Australia needs our help.
THIS IS HOW YOU FIX Parliament and help bring fairness back into this country!
If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just delete.
Author: Dr. Dale Kerwin, School of Education, MT Gravatt
Campus, Griffith University Ph. 07 3735 5884 | fax. 07 3735